National Leaders of Governance (NLG)
National Leaders of Governance (NLGs) are highly effective chairs of school/academy governing bodies who are designated by the National College for Teaching and Leadership to provide support to chairs for governors in other schools.
You should contact an NLG if you want to improve the leadership and performance of your school’s governing body.
Typical activities include:
Improving school performance
- Supporting the chair to focus more closely on raising standards and leading improvement
- Helping the chair to understand and interpret strategic school/academy data
Supporting the relationship between headteacher and chair
- Coaching a chair in developing solutions to identified problems or in providing more effective challenge to senior leaders
- Helping the chair build his/her relationship with the headteacher/principal
Skills and understanding of governance
- Helping the chair to better evaluate his/her own performance and develop his/her leadership, effectiveness and confidence
- Observing a governing body meeting and providing advice to the chair on procedures, protocols and behaviours
- Helping the chair identify priorities for governing body development and draw up an action plan
- Mentoring a chair to provide support through a particular process
- Providing expertise to help with an aspect of a GB’s work
- Signposting or brokering additional training and support
Our National Leader of Governance
Harry Ziman is a very experienced governor and is recognised as a National Leader of Governance. He is actively involved in school improvement both within Cheshire West and Chester and nationally. When not supporting schools, Harry runs his own consulting business undertaking market research, feasibility studies and preparing grant applications across all of science, technology and health.